RPL & Credit Transfers

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) & Credit Transfers

Students may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or credit transfers for study taken at another institution; as well as time they may have spent working in the hospitality industry.

Approved credit may reduce a students overall cost and study workload.

This policy is most commonly applied to:

  • Students who have undertaken some study at other hotel schools looking to transfer, and gain the advantage of the Bachelor of Business (Hospitality Management) or Bachelor of International Hotel Management (SHA).
  • People with business-related diplomas or degrees wanting to enter the hotel industry to change their career direction.
  • Industry personnel with experience and some training seeking qualifications with international recognition.

To apply for recognition you must:

  • Submit a full application to ICHM indicating that you want to apply for recognition of your prior learning.
  • Students will be required to submit certified English translations of all academic/other documents (e.g. curriculum) where necessary.
  • Where recognition is not granted prior to commencement students will be required to attend classes until exemptions are determined.
  • As part of the recognition assessment, where students are unable to provide sufficient documentation and evidence, recognition cannot be granted.
  • A process of appeal is available in cases of disputes over decisions or refunds granted under these policies.

Masters Degree Options
ICHM and SHA degree graduates can seek entry into a variety of postgraduate options. Articulation arrangements are established for the universities listed as well as a variety of others. Acceptance into the Masters programs is subject to the universities’ conditions and also recommendation by ICHM education management.

Following are some of the universities that have in writing approved direct entry for ICHM Degree graduates:

  • Master in Hospitality Administration, Ecole Hoteliere de Lausanne, Switzerland - 13 months.
  • M.Sc. Business Administration (Major in Tourism) HTW Chur, Switzerland - 18 months. 
  • Master of Management (Tourism), University of South Australia –18 months.
  • Master of International Hospitality Management, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand - 24 months 
  • MBA in Hospitality Johnson and Wales University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA – 18 months.
  • M.Sc. in International Hotel and Tourism Management, Oxford Brookes University – 12 months.