ICHM Fees 2018

Other Financial Considerations

Following are other possible expenses or financial considerations that parents/students should consider when studying at ICHM and living in Australia. Much of this information is a guide only.

Regency International House (RIH) Bond A$500
This is payable on first entry to the on-campus student accommodation complex, Regency International House (RIH). Bond is refundable upon completion of on-campus study provided no expenses were incurred.
Accommodation in Regency International House (RIH)
Accommodation in RIH is available to students during on-campus academic semesters including mid-semester breaks. However, holiday breaks between semesters are not included within the accommodation fees. During the July semester break students may request to be accommodated at RIH, subject to room availability. Additional charges will apply.
Students should note that over the December/January holiday break each year, Regency International House is closed for maintenance and is not available to students. While ICHM will not be responsible for students between semester breaks, the ICHM Student Welfare Manager can offer suggestions for alternative accommodation. Students arriving earlier than two days prior to the start of semester at the beginning of each on-campus semester may request to be accommodated in Regency International House, additional charges apply and subject to the availability of rooms. 
Note: On-campus accommodation in Regency International House is subject to availability for students in years 2, 3 and 4.

International students will be required to obtain a Student Visa to study in Australia. The visa processing charge (payable to the Australian Government) is approximately A$565. As part of the visa process, students may be required to have a medical check with an Australian Government authorised doctor. The fee for this medical is approximately A$300.

All student visa holders are required to have adequate health insurance while they are in Australia. The insurance must commence from the date the student arrives in Australia on their student visa and must be in effect until the student leaves Australia or moves to a non-student visa subclass. If a student visa holder is in Australia and does not hold health insurance, they are in breach of visa condition 8501, even if their course has not yet started.

Exceptions: New Zealander, Belgian, Norwegian and Swedish students are not required to purchase OSHC as part of their visa requirements.

Which insurers offer OSHC?

Students can choose to arrange their OSHC from the following list of providers: 

BUPA Australia - www.overseasstudenthealth.com
Medibank Private - www.medibank.com.au
Allianz Global Assistance - www.oshcworldcare.com.au
nib OSHC - www.nib.com.au
Australian Health Management - www.ahm.com.au

If you are studying at more than one educational provider you will have to ensure that there is no gap between policies. This means that as one policy expires the next commences immediately, or the policy length is sufficient to cover all courses while you are on a student visa.

Proof of insurance: Students must be able to provide a copy of the policy when lodging a visa application.

While students are expected to earn income during their industry placements, they will also incur expenses such as:

  • Transport costs to and from their internship placement city.
  • Accommodation (only a few hotels provide staff accommodation).
  • Meals.
  • Taxation.
  • Public transport to work.
  • Personal expenses.
  • Entertainment expenses.

These expenses will vary widely depending on location around the world. While their income should cover daily living expenses, if in Australia, students need to budget for the upfront costs that are incurred when organising rental accommodation. These costs include bond and connections for telephone, gas, water and electricity.
Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) Exam
Students who go on a food and beverage internship to locations that require an RSA exam should be prepared to pay the cost. Such locations are generally those located within Australia. Approximate cost A$60-100.

While living on-campus, students will require money for general expenses. The amount required will vary, but on average students spend between A$60 and A$120 per week on the following items:

  • Additional stationery & photocopying.
  • Personal mobile phone cost will vary according to the provider and option selected.
  • Transport (bus, taxi or car if you have one).
  • Entertainment (cinema, recreation etc).
  • Snack food (some students say they can’t study without chocolate!).
  • Personal items (toothpaste, shampoo, washing detergent etc).

ICHM students are issued with a student identification card which entitles them to full student discount in South Australia, providing significant discounts on public transport, cinema tickets and more.


Networked desktop computers are provided in each student room at Regency International House (RIH), they are also available in the 24-hour computer suite located in RIH student accommodation complex and in the campus computer lab. Students living off-campus and while on placement will probably need to provide their own laptop or tablet. 

There are no storage facilities for students personal affects on the campus, so while undertaking industry placement students may be required to pay for storage for their personal goods until they return to study on the campus.